24 May 2014

The Great War Project #5: Russian Shocktroopers

I'm back from my holidays in sunny Italy. After a week of sun and absolutely fantastic food this means back to business. I didn't even try to catch up with all the blog posts I missed so my sincere apologies to all of you.

Yesterday, after a hand full of sleep after all night driving, I finished the bases on my first full squad of tsarist Russian Shocktroops.

I'll probably expand the squads to 12 men in the end as I vaguely remember the Russians fielding larger Squads.


Miniatures are from the "Back of Beyond" range by Mark Copplestone. The figures were a real joy to paint but unfortunately suffer from the dreaded monopose syndrome. To add a little bit of variety I slightly converted two of the figures to wear the french made Adrian helmet. For the headswap I used separate heads from Forgotten & Glorious. They were a perfect fit and I can only recommend their products. I hope they'll add to their currently quite small range of WW1 french in the not to far future. 


For the uniforms I tried several shemes what gives the unit an overall quite inconsistent appearance. In the end I settled for VMC Russian Green for the trousers and the peaked cap and Foundry Moss for the Gymnastiorka.


Despite the monopose issue I'll paint up at least one more squad of the Copplestone Whites to make the squads look more uniform.

Thanks for viewing and hope you enyoyed!


24 comments:

  1. The head swaps really help in adding some difference in the poses. The paintjob is just spot on as always with your work! Looks very Russian with the varying shades of equipment etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really excellent painting Nick!! Your photography was good before, but I must say it has really taken off lately as your finally doing the justice your miniatures deserve! Superb mixing of tones and shades on the uniforms.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely as usual. So inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb set of Russians with great shading, skin tones and basing! They do look the business.

    You're the 2nd blogger to just get back from Italy. Must be some sort of Italian BlogCon going on I didn't hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job! The posing does not detract due to the imaginative paint work and it does provide some uniformity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the figures very much and the painting also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning painted minis !!!

    Very interesting to see your east front ww1 project grow, nice also as a change from all the west from projects that are so poppular.

    Will your project also include the war in balticum 1918-1919 reds (whites/germans/finnish and even some mercenary Swedish troops.a few years back I painted med a German Freikorp force "Iron Brigade" for our Russian Civil War project. Not as wellpainted as your but maybe some inspiration: http://metrobloggen.se/dalauppror/general_von_der_goltz_iron_division/ (the link are to my old blog before I moved to blogger.)

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  8. These Russians are really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, great idea with the head swoops.They really look like they mean business.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb painting on the figures, they are tempting me into yet another project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent paintjob and some very characterful faces !

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are absolutely superbly painted! Very very smooth color scaling. I quite agree on the F&G Miniz quality, these are my favorite WW1 French. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed that the excellent range can expand in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow awsome looking models....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow sexy Bemalung! Ich bin immer wieder begeistert, wie fein du deine Uniformen und Farbverläufe hin bekommst! Auch die feine Ausführung der Schulterklappen ist dir super gelungen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely fantastic paintwork Nick! Love the faces, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Klasse! Das Ergebnis ist absolut genial!
    Sowohl die Bemalung als auch die Arbeit mit den Köpfen ist wirklich klasse geworden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are top notch Nick, great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just want to tell you that i have awarded you the Liester Award :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man I love imperial Russian uniforms, and you painting suits them perfectly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Nick,

    I of course nominated you for a Liebster award on my blog: http://christopher-bunkerhill.blogspot.de/.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations!! I have been to film!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous work Nick. Your excellent painting very much relieves the 'monopose' of the sculpts. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow these look great for this scale! Wonderful work! ^_^

    ReplyDelete